Are you looking to get the most out of your new Subaru WRX? If you’re on a budget, you want to plan carefully to get as much power out of every dollar you spend as you possibly can. But, you did buy your Subi because you want to enjoy it, so here’s what you need to know about squeezing more performance and fun out of your investment.
- Start with the basics It’s believed that the automotive aftermarket industry globally will be worth more than $722 billion by 2020. The industry in the United States alone was worth $287 billion in 2017 and projected annual growth rates are nearly 4%. A lot of money is going into Subaru upgrades and Subaru WRX performance parts, but before you ever start investing in AMR performance parts, make sure you’re getting the best of your Subaru by having all the basics right.
- Tires: You gotta have good tires if you want to roll. Before you start adding power to the car, make sure it’s handling properly. Of course, you can do that by grabbing an AMR performance suspension kit, but tires come first. While you’re at it, make sure those tires are properly filled.
- Gas: if you bought this car to save money, then you’ve made a mistake. Your manual says you need premium gas and premium gas is what you need. Never go lower than 91 octane and don’t use regular gas unless you have no other choice
- You: The final thing you need to get right when it comes to basics is you. A lot of us are not nearly as good at driving as we think we are, but there are plenty of books and tips online that can help you become a better driver. You put such an investment into your car that it’s worth knowing how to drive in a way that gets the most out of it.
- Start simple and move up from there. The first thing you want to try is an improved exhaust system. Subaru STI performance parts can really make a difference even on the first levels, and getting the best quality such as AMR performance aftermarket parts can make all the difference. Once your exhaust system is improved, consider a good cold air intake. Finally, do some ECU tuning. This will help you get the most out of your car and also tell you what to do next.
- Getting up to 500hp. For a lot of Subaru owners, the goal is getting up to 500 hp. To get there you’re going to need some seriously good WRX aftermarket parts. You need better pistons, oil pump, sleeves, and rods. Don’t forget a new turbo, either. You’ll also probably need a front mounted intercooler upgrade with efficient piping because Subaru’s come standard with intercooler piping that’s too long. Depending on the turbo you choose, you could be talking $5000-$8000 to make your WRX run with the power you want. But if that’s your goal, it’s worth it./li>
- Don’t undercut yourself with cheap parts. If you’re going to go to all the effort to really soup up your Subaru, the last thing you want to do is undermine all your efforts by going cheap. Yes, AMR performance parts and other quality aftermarket upgrades are going to cost some money. It could be tempting to try to save a few bucks here and there, but in the end you’re going to get better results and enjoy your car far more if you wait an extra month or two to buy the best parts rather than splashing out on things that won’t give you the performance that you need.
There’s a reason that Subaru is so popular. In June 2018 almost 60,000 of their cars were sold in America. They are reliable, affordable, hold their resale value, and have great safety ratings. Some of them, such as the WRX, are genuinely serious performance cars. If you’ve got one, get the most out of it with the right Subaru WRX performance parts and upgrades. Get your basics right, improve your own driving skills, and then enjoy your car for a long time to come.