Your Mercedes is a huge investment and you want to take good care of it. When it comes time to replace some of the parts, you have to choose between getting real Mercedes parts and generic replacements. There are a lot of good reasons to go with genuine Mercedes parts, but there are a lot of savings when you get generic parts. What are the pros and cons of each choice and is there a third way that could give you the best of both worlds?
Choosing Real Mercedes Parts
Choosing genuine Mercedes Benz spare parts is never going to be a bad choice. Here are some reasons to go with genuine Mercedes parts:
- You have the ultimate quality assurance. Whatever part you need to replace, a genuine Mercedes Benz part is guaranteed to work exactly the same way. You also have a guaranteed fit and you can expect the part to last just as long as the original part did. You can have tremendous peace of mind knowing that you’re going to get excellent performance out of your purchase.
- You get a warranty. If you’re going with genuine parts, and especially if you have the dealer repair it, you should expect a warranty. You may not get that with generic replacement parts.
- It is simple to choose the correct part. One of the difficulties of using replacement parts from a generic manufacturer is making sure that you have precisely the right fit. You know that you’ve got exactly the part you need, that it will fit perfectly, and that there will be no unexpected and unpleasant surprises once the car repair begins.
The Downsides of Genuine Parts
There are of course some negatives to consider if you’re purchasing genuine Mercedes parts. Actually, there is really just one: they will be more expensive. This is a given and part of the reason for this is that you’re paying for a quality that matches that of your original vehicle. Part of the expense, though, is also due to pressure on dealerships to make some money in their parts and service department.
What About Generic Replacements?
There are some upsides to sourcing generic aftermarket parts.
- They are far less expensive. Of course, you do need to make sure that the part will work and is of decent quality. If a part price seems just too good to be true, it probably is.
- There is more variety and they can be easier to source. because there are so many companies making generic aftermarket parts and even direct replacement parts, it can be possible to get parts that fit your car but are not so cookie-cutter as the original. You can also these parts, typically, at nearly any auto parts store or mechanic shop.
Are There Downsides to Aftermarket Parts?
It’s never a bad idea to get genuine parts, but it can be a bad idea to get aftermarket ones. Here are some potential issues when it comes to buying aftermarket parts.
- You may not know what quality you’re going to get until it is too late. Quality can vary wildly when it comes to generic parts and never has it been more true than with parts for your Mercedes that you will certainly get what you pay for.
- You will probably not get a warranty. Unless you are buying the most expensive such parts, they will probably not come with a warranty. If you pony up for the best quality bombs that do have a warranty, why not just get real Mercedes parts to begin with?
- You risk buying the wrong thing. If you know what you need, you can walk in and by the correct Mercedes parts without any hitch. Buying aftermarket parts isn’t so simple.
Is There Another Option?
If you want to have real Mercedes parts but really need to save money, there is another option you could try. It may be worth looking into whether you can get used Mercedes Benz parts. Second hand Mercedes parts can save you money while still assuring you excellent quality and a perfect fit.
Your car is a tremendous investment, so don’t neglect it. Don’t put anything in or on your car that you’re not 100% sure of.