The technology used in diesel trucks and diesel engines has advanced quite a bit in recent years as diesel trucks have transitioned from ultra-low sulfur diesel to biodiesel.
While changes such as DPF filters and common rail injection systems have helped improve the mpg in diesel trucks while cutting down on emissions, it’s still important for diesel truck owners to keep their vehicles in peak shape. In fact, up to 90% of turbocharger failures are due to dirt in the oil, high exhaust gas temperatures, inadequate oil supply, or penetration of foreign bodies in the turbine.
With that in mind, here are some tips for upkeep of diesel trucks:
- For diesel turbochargers, it’s important to let a truck idle for a few minutes upon startup. Turbochargers play an important role in helping a diesel truck run efficiently and hitting the gas immediately upon startup is a bad idea. Leave some time for the oil to find the various crannies and nooks of the engine first.
- Using oil additives helps turbochargers too. They help keep lubrication at high levels, which allows all of the engine’s parts to keep running as they should.
- Whether you use biodiesel or ULSD fuel, it’s very important to use a fuel additive. Doing this keeps the fuel injectors flowing like they should. Using one that demulsifies water is even better. Many common fuel additives try to burn water through the injection system, but it’s better to find an additive that removes water since a diesel engine has a fuel water separator for a reason.
- An oil change is an important part of maintenance for any vehicle, but it’s vital for diesels. The engines on diesel vehicles are high heat machines and following OEM recommended oil change times is crucial to keep it functioning properly.
- Since diesel engines are heavy-use machines, using the proper coolant is essential too. It’s important never to mix coolants and to not use water as a substitute for coolant.
Knowing what to do to properly care for your diesel truck and its fuel system will keep the engine performing at peak shape for longer and give you, the diesel enthusiast, a chance to worry about other things, namely performance parts to upgrade your truck.
For diesel truck owners, especially Cummins owners, there are many Dodge diesel performance parts to help you upgrade your ride. Dodge diesel performance parts like Cummins lift pumps and high performance injectors can take your ride to the next level.
Take the 2016-2019 5.0L Cummins Nissan Titan XD for example. Dodge diesel performance parts for this truck include a cold air intake, a scorcher HD module, a scorcher HD power package, light kits and leveling kits. Depending on what model of Dodge truck you drive, chances are good there are many Dodge diesel performance parts to choose from.